|No. 166 - Sewer Rates||Download Ordinance|
|No. 167 - Refuse (Solid Waste) Collection Rates||Download Ordinance|
|No. 180 - Natural Gas Rates & Charges||Download Ordinance|
|No. 191 - Water Rates and Charges||Download Ordinance|
|No. 193 - Electric Utility Rates & Charges||Download Ordinance|
The incorporated town of Whittemore dates back to 1891. In the fall of 1891, thirteen years after the town had begun, it was decided some kind of organization should be formed. At an election on December 12, 1891, the voters agreed to incorporate. The land taken into the Corporation at that time included all of sections 5,6,7,8 and portions of 17 and 18. At that meeting, G.E. Boyle was elected the first mayor, A.Yale the first town clerk and J.M. Farley, C.C. Sampson, A. Schmitt, Henry Goetsch and Emil Chrischilles made up the first city council. The first town assessor was Joe DeGraw, first town marshall was J.F. Smith and H.S. Daily was the first street commissioner. During the winter of 1894-95, the town well was drilled and casing put down to solid rock while Mayor Boyle was in office.
In 1908 the importance of putting in a water system was brought up and on December 19,1910 an election was held and the proposition carried. The committee decided to use large pressure tanks for the water system. Purchasing of materials and construction of the plant was kept under supervision of the council. The town hall and pumping station, 32 x 43 feet, was constructed of cement blocks. The lower floor below street level contained the pressure tanks and machinery and the upper floor had a room for fire equipment and the rest of the building was used as council chambers and voting place. The first digging of mains began on July 10,1911 and the last ditch was filled on October 18, 1911. All water mains were laid six feet in the ground and each joint was tested for two hours under 80 pounds of pressure before being covered. Water was turned on at the Engler Restaurant on August 20, 1911 and in the A.E. Lien Drug Store on August 21, 1911. Running water had come to Whittemore!